Monday, May 21, 2012

Fake Carriage House Doors

My New Carriage House Garage Doors

Last year I priced out new Carriage House Garage Doors. I have always loved the look but when I saw the price of $2,000.00 and up, I knew it was not in the cards. That is until this year when I ran across a tutorial on how to make them yourself.  Now the doors you see above are my old doors painted to look like Carriage House doors!

Items needed
 1 small can of primer paint
 3 oz. can of Rust-oleum  high gloss black paint (This is an oil based paint, so disposable sponge brushes are the best way to go)
Wide masking tape
1/2 inch masking tape (you can purchase this at a craft store like Michaels)
Disposable sponge paint brushes ( These are great for this project.  It allowed me to take a break when needed.  I hate cleaning oil based paint out of brushes)
tape measure

I also found my hardware (the 8 straps on both doors) on E-Bay. They are magnetic and only cost $35.00 for all of them.

My total cost for this project was a whopping $43.00. Take that $2,000.00 new garage doors!

Step One -  Mask off each top panel. Make sure you wash the doors first!



Step Two -  Place the 1/2 inch masking tape in the center of the masked off area.  One piece going horizontally the other vertically.  (So now your window is divided into four panes).



Secret tip when painting windows onto garage door, less is more. You want to be careful that paint does not run under the tape.  I dap my paint on each pane, I don't brush it on.  Most garage doors have an uneven surface, so make sure you really push your tape on well.




Step Three - Prime each window pane, secret tip when painting less is more. You want to be careful that paint does not run under the tape.  I dap my paint onto each pane; I don't brush it on.  When primer has dried, apply high gloss black Rust-oleum paint. You may need two coats of black paint.

Step Four -  When windows are dry, pull tape off and step back to admire your work! 


^ This picture was taken when I was finished painting but before magnetic hardware was added.




                                                            And this was after.



If you're nervous about trying this technique, don't be! It's just paint. Just do one window and if you don't like you can paint over it.  Just make sure you have the original door color on hand. If you do like the look of carriage doors, than I highly doubt you'll be dissatisfied. 

Now What to do with my $1957.00 savings? 















dspind01@gmail.com

No comments: